Thursday, September 20, 2012

The end is near

As I sit in the treatment chair, right now, I'm getting my last Herceptin infusion. I never thought this day would come. I'm also getting a flu shot, as I do every year, but I am even more vigilant because of my white blood count still being low. It's weird; it was 2.3 today. Three weeks ago it was at 3. In the 4 range is normal. It takes forever for all of the chemo effects to wear off.
I have a new problem, and I hope it's not serious. My back has been bothering me a great deal. This started way before cancer. It's where disc L5 joins the SI, and is most prevalent on the right side. There have been a few incidents recently where I thought it was going to go out on me. It hurts terribly. So, next Tuesday I'm having a bone scan and MRI to see what's up with that. I got sort of scared. Bone cancer of course shot through my head, but Dr. Kaplan said that's an odd place to get it. Hopefully it's just pressure on the disc or something.
But, I'm thrilled to say, the reconstruction mess is getting much better. I saw Dr. Isik yesterday, and he's ready for the next step. So, next Thursday, I'll have another little surgery, this time in the OR in his office. This is to remove the fat necrosis over my new left breast, and lift the right side so I am symmetrical. I was really surprised that he thought I was ready. Since he's already going to have me down for the count (under anesthesia) he will remove this damn port that's been in me since March 2011!! For that I am super stoked.
There will still be a few more little things to do, but I'm beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel.
Fear of cancer coming back will always live with me, however.
Still no job, but two people are leaving the Bellevue office of the company I worked for. One is leaving for a job with a business journal, the other is having a baby. So, I applied - it's not like they don't know me. So, I'm going to visit with Craig, the editor, on Monday. It's certainly not like they don't know my work. I'm to the point now where I just want to get back to work.
I'm also psyched because there is a new condo on the market, that is even better than the one I was close to making an offer on before I was laid off in March. This one is in a building with only five units; I actually had looked at another one in the same building, but she wanted too much money I thought and it did not have a covered parking place. I saw this in Sunday's paper, and thought I'd go check it out (it was an open house). I figured it was the one I looked at before, but NO! It's the one above it, so it has vaulted ceilings, which makes it feel much bigger, and it has a covered parking space.
Not only that, it's an estate sale, so the son of whoever died, put in an all new kitchen - cabinets, flooring, counters and stainless steel appliances! It also has new paint and nice new carpet. All this, and a view of Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains. So if I get re-hired, I'm going to give it a shot. I will feel much better in a better neighborhood and lovely place.
I have been sort of down due to concerns about other people in my life who are having even greater struggles. It just seems like there's so much bad ju-ju going on. I hope things turn around for all of us very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment